Thursday, April 4, 2013

3D Tracking: An Idea for a Design Project

I think I'll publish this here and then expand on it later.

The concept I have here is to track an object in three dimensional space with the use of a stand-alone transmitter and four wireless mesh routers (two would create a line, three a plane and four a three dimensional object) which will communicate with a hub connected to an Arduino board. The transmitter will continually send out a signal, the strength of that signal will be monitored by the routers and sent to the hub and the hub will parlay the data into six triangulation calculations in order to determine the current position of the transmitter.

If this can be achieved, maybe I can even create some code to take the real-time results, transfer them into my computer and display the object at its actual position in the three-dimensional box created by the sensors. Going further still, I could introduce a virtual ball into the environment that will "ricochet" off the sensor should the sensor "touch" the ball. Basically an expansion of Microsoft's Kinect into the third dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment